"Her hands are never cold, she's got Bette Davis eyes..."

Tuesday 9 March 2010

Ok, ok, you've got me. I admit it:

I have not seen Avatar.

I have also not seen The Hurt Locker, An Education, Up, Precious, Inglourious Basterds or any of the other big, important films of this year. I have, however, seen Valentine's Day. And The Princess and the Frog (which was amazing. I love Ray). Clearly I have my film-related priorities very much in order.
And while I think it's great that Kathryn Bigelow became the first woman to win Best Director (seriously, the Oscars have been going since 1929, how can it have taken 80 years for a woman to win? Does this mean the Academy are very sexist or that women just aren't very good movie directors? Answers on a postcard), I simply can not comment on any of the other awards as I have no opinion on the majority of films nominated.

So all I will say is, congratulations to the winners, commiserations to the losers, but really you are all winners in my eyes. Except, not really because I don't know who most of you are.
Anyway, none of that matters because here at the little curly girl, we deal in fashion, not films (if you want film-talk, go here, but not until you've read this post, ok?) and you know what there was plenty of at the Academy Awards? Dresses! Lovely, lovely dresses.
I thought, just to make things vaguely more interesting, I'd show you my favourite gowns of the night, alongside the original catwalk version, because two pretty pictures are better than one, aren't they? Yes. Yes they are.
First up, in one of my absolute favourite gowns pretty much EVER, was Diane Kruger;

This is Chanel Couture from the Fall 09 collection and I think it's just exquisite. She looks like a vase, but a really, really gorgeous vase. Just look at the shape! And the ruffles! And look at the back! (on a side note, how FIERCE is Sasha P in the first photo?!) Perfection, honestly, I LOVE it. And to think, I really wasn't keen on her Golden Globes dress at all, well done for turning it around Diane, very well done.

Also in Chanel and also one of my absolute favourites was SJP;

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! And so elegant! Thankfully she chose not to team it with the crazy big hair from the Spring Couture show, (but I still do love that crazy big hair...) opting instead for a soft, slightly messy updo, extreme smokey eyes and glowing skin.

Elie Saab was also a popular choice for the red carpet with both Anna Kendrick and Rachel McAdams sporting floaty, feminine frocks from the Spring 2010 Couture collection;

I think it's interesting how, on Anna, this dress looks so demure, but on the catwalk, with slightly different styling, it's actually really sexy.

The floral print on this gown is lovely, it reminds me of watercolours. I'm also a big fan of Rachel's earrings - you know I loves me a pair of oversized earrings!

Two more actresses wearing the same designer were Jennifer Lopez and Amanda Seyfried, who both stepped out in strapless Armani Prive Couture;

I like how Jennifer's gone for a gown that not only hugs her curves, but also creates its own curves!

The combination of the silvery white gown and Amanda's pale skin make her look like the Childlike Empress from The Neverending Story, which is interesting, because in the film, the Empress' proper name is Moonchild and this Armani Prive collection was all about the moon! (Is it just me, or do these gowns look a bit like they're made from bubble wrap?)

Also doing the classic strapless thing was Cameron Diaz in Oscar de la Renta;

Am I the only one who finds it funny that she wore Oscar to the Oscars? Hahaha madness! Cameron went for a good old fashioned dose of glamour with her super sparkly dress and tumbling blonde curls. I also think it's quite impressive that she's technically wearing a dress from the future as this was literally just seen on the Fall 2010 catwalk. She's wearing Fall 2010 in March 2010! Cameron Diaz has a time machine! (I'm sure celebs get to wear stuff in advance all the time, it's just the first time I've ever actually picked up on it before).

Finally, my award for best dressed of the night goes to Carey Mulligan in Prada;

I couldn't find a shot of this on the catwalk (I trawled through LOADS of images too) so I can't work out if it's some kind of crazy one-off or I've just missed it. If anyone does know which collection this is from, please tell me!

This is fab for so many reasons; firstly Carey actually looks her age in it (so many young actresses end up aging themselves about 10 years when they get dressed up for big events) because it's so fun and quirky, secondly the bottom is a really weird shape but it still works and thirdly, all those embellishments are tiny little scissors and forks and spoons!!! Tiny metal things! For tiny metal people! I heard that after Sunday night, Carey donated this dress to the Borrowers. She is their queen now.

I'm going to end with a picture of Jake Gyllenhaal (wearing Burberry) because he's handsome;

That's all for now.

(all images from style.com)

2 comments:

  1. Carey M's dress is Prada, according to The Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/gallery/2010/mar/07/oscars-fashion-red-carpet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my I'm absolutely in love with those dresses ! So gorgeous ! Thanks for sharing dear :)

    ReplyDelete

Give me the thoughts from your brains...
(please note, all spam will be deleted, so back off, spam-monkeys!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...